Saturday 13 October 2012

[Reupload] Lips Part 1

At the moment, I thought I would share with everyone my insight into lip salves/creams/moisturizers. I have the most awfullest lips that anyone can ask for, they have been like that since I was born and no cream or medicine has been able to cure it (not even yucky Chinese herbal medicine!), however, I do try to prevent them from being as bad as they are on a daily basis but every now and again when the weather changes drastically they turn drastically too. Be prepared! Haha, its going to be a long one, my lips have always been something that have been troublesome for me so I try everything! Even when I go to make-up counters they will always look at my lips and recommend and let me try their lip products! even if I am looking at something completely different!

Over the years I have tried numerous lip creams from very expensive to drug store cheap. Vaseline is the main one I'm sure you guys all know of, I have used it for many years but do not as much anymore. I find it very oily and thin, I don't use it often but it is still a good one to always have on you for occasional use.

Recently, I have been trying other things that have come to my attention... as you can see from my previous post, I love Laneige! My favourite lip blam is definately the Laniege Lip Treatment.
laneige lip treatment



This seems to do wonders for me, the edges of my lips can get really dry and crack like hell to the extent that opening your mouth is sooooo painful! This lip balm soothes it a lot for me and after a few minutes of putting it on it feels like they have suddenly gone smooth like how lovely lips should be and I can open my mouth again! I unfortunately can't tell you what is in it since all the ingredients are in Korean but the sales lady who convinced me to buy this told me that it is all natural, the fragrance of the lip balm is lovely, its like a honey-ish time smell and this is just from the stuff that has been added to make the lip balm (so I've been told). It is a traditional lipstick style twisty up kind of thing so no hands are needed to apply this! It has also been said that it can be used as a lip base but honestly, when my lips are really bad, I don't wear lipstick/gloss because it doesn't feel good, feels like your making it worse so just this lip balm is good for me. Definately my HG (Holy Grail) of lip balms, but at $150HKD, its pretty expensive and it lasts me about 2 weeks with continuous use so I use it very sparingly as I cannot even purchase it without having my cousin buying it for me and posting it to me!

Another lip balm that I have found to be quite good is Kiehl's Lip Balm #1, it retails at £8.31-ish, it depends where you get it from! It can be purchased in Kiehl's shops (there is one in Covent Garden and you can also buy them in Space NK, the difference isn't too much though, its like around 10p less or more in different shops). My cousin actually recommended this to me, she lives in China so she has to buy it online but luckily its accessible for me. I really like this one as well because it isn't oily, thick and it absorbs in well. It is a squeezy tube so you have to use your hands to rub it in but remember that your hands are your best tools! It doesn't really smell of anything, if it did smell bad I wouldn't use it since your mouth is directly underneath your nose so you'll be able to smell it all the time! I think a good way of describing this lip balm would be like vaseline - the consistency is the same but it is a lot less oily an much more absorbing but at a slower rate but after a few applications your lips begin to look and feel a lot nicer. If I am bad I would normally put it on about 6/7 times a day whereas if I'm alright/good I will put it on about 2/3 times a day. This is 15ml and with constant use, it can last me up to about a month/month and half.
kiehls



I don't know if you can see well in the picture but you can see that my lips weren't great on that day, it was on an average day because the skin around my mouth wasn't doing great then either but what I usually would do is put it around my lips as well at night time before bed and next morning it would feel better and not so tight, itchy and peeling.

If you do have cracked sore peeling horribly annoying lips like mine, a good way to moisturize them is to put it on at night and in the morning they won't so bad. A good little exfoliant is the olive oil and sugar trick. Sooo simple and extremely affective, literally how it sounds, mix some extra virgin olive oil with some normal white granulated sugar and smooth over lips and leave for a couple of minutes and rinse off. Whats great is that the sugar acts like a scrub and the oil softens things, its also great because if you accidentally eat it, its not a problem at all! At one point when my lips were really bad I was doing this about 3/4 times a day, its always a good idea to put something back on your lips after you finished eating, just like lipstick it needs a touch up.

There are other things that I have tried in the past, not used long term so these are based on first impressions.



Shiseido Benefiance Full Correction Lip Treatment - Retails around £28.50 for 15ml, for such a price I really do not think that it is that great considering Shiseido is one of my favourite brands and the Benefiance line is produced for mature and dry skin. It was very thick and sticky which is what I do not look for in a good lip balm, it felt like I had a layer or barrier over my lips and it also felt like I couldn't do anything for ages like eat/drink, even if it was windy and hair blew into it, it would feel really horrible and would stick really badly to it.
http://img2.strawberrynetmedia.com/images/products/02789081401.jpg



Shiseido The Skincare Protective Lip Conditioner - I got this when my auntie actually gave this to me a long time ago. I would compare this to the Nivea lip balms that you can get in drugstores but a little bit nicer. Retailing at around £21, I would only buy this if I had bit of extra cash and I felt like treating myself. An added bonus is that it has an SPF of 10, it is 4g in size so again doesn't last me too long with continuous use.



Biotherm Aquasource Moisturizing Balm Protective Lip Care - Thought about trying this after becoming interested in Biotherm, I haven't ever used any of the products but my cousin does which is why I became interested in it, again my lips are my biggest concern so immediately went to look at the lip stuff. I actually went to a counter to try it out before I bought it because it retails at around £12 so didn't want to waste it since Biotherm isn't a brand that I know I can trust at the moment. I didn't like this one either, thick and gloopy like a barrier again, very close to the Shiseido Benefiance one but cheaper.

*Phew* that was a lot. These are mainly the high end ones that I have use(d). Next time we will be talking cheap drugstore brands like Nivea, Vaseline and Johnsons.

No comments:

Post a Comment